With years of specialized education, training, and growing clinical experience, there are more than a few lessons I’ve learned. Putting that knowledge to use, here are 5 things I would NEVER do as a chiropractor, and wouldn’t recommend to others.
1. Self-Manipulation: It’s one thing to turn the head and hear a pop or click. It’s something else to force the neck through a range of motion for that pop or click. Forcing these things may create injury or instability within the spine.
2. Get a Y-Strap/Ring-Dinger Adjustment: These adjustments quickly pull the head to create a global adjustment and traction. There are more gentle and specific ways to achieve the same result; we can do better as a healthcare community.
3. Become Dependent on Over-the-Counter Pain Medicine: Did you know that Tylenol was a prescription medication until 1960? Taking something to relieve pain every now and then isn’t a big deal, but long-term and overuse of these types of medications can harm other systems and organs of the body. A constant dependence on analgesics is likely a sign of an underlying issue that should be evaluated.
4. Sleep on the Stomach: Housed within the spine is your spinal cord – it connects your brain and body and is your lifeline! Twisting it for eight hours every night isn’t doing anyone any favors.
5. Underestimate the Power and Potential of the Body: The body is amazing. Any bump, bruise, or papercut you’ve had healed without external resources. Think of all the things your body does for you on a daily basis, or the changes experienced by an expecting mother. The body is intelligent and selfhealing. As B.J. Palmer, known as the “Developer” of chiropractic, once said: “Nature needs no help, just no interference.”
At the Revive Upper Cervical Chiropractic clinic in Cranberry Twp, we offer a complimentary consultation and screening process to determine how we can help. If friends and family live out of town, please let us so we offer the best referral options.
To schedule a consultation with Revive Upper Cervical Chiropractic, call 724-772-7060 or fill out the form below.
If you are in or around the Cranberry Township area and are looking for a resource to help you, you can visit Dr. Savage and Dr. Bulow at the Revive Upper Cervical Chiropractic. Our practice is open Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 9 am to 6 pm; Wednesday from 1 pm to 6 pm. You can also drop by on Fridays between 9 am to 12 noon.
Stay Connected with us on the socials!